2018 Shutdown Crisis
This article is a Wok In Progress
The 2018 Shutdown Crisis began on the 11th of October, 2018 when, asked about the sudden reshuffling of forum sections, garry voiced feelings of shutting down Facepunch before elaborating further on his feelings.
This was met with severe backlash from many users; a great many would go on to post comments reflecting on how Facepunch had impacted their lives in a positive manner, stating how there is no other place like it (especially when compared to the alternatives of reddit, Discord, and to a lesser extent, 4chan and Something Awful), with some resorting to shitposting, posting Ban Me threads, and others beginning to reminisce of older times.
2018 forum section reshuffle
Immediately preceding the crisis was the 2018 forum section reshuffle, which saw a radical change to the forum's layout on the same day prior to the posts that sparked the crisis. Among other changes, it saw a complete reversal of the Megathread crisis that had occurred shortly after the move to the New Sites Forum, but in such a fashion that it went the complete opposite direction, with the near complete re-discontinuation of sub-forums.
Initially, aside from the almost complete discontinuation of sub-forums, resulting in their threads being merged into those of their parent forum sections, the entire Developers, Rust and Garry's Mod forum categories were merged into their own respective forum sections (sans Help & Support and Modding for Rust and Lua Developer Discussion and Help & Support for Garry's Mod, which were made sub-forums, the only ones remaining).
However, over the next few hours, Schindler's Fist was absorbed into OIFY, but more importantly, Fast Threads and Videos and That Kind Of Crap were absorbed into General Discussion, which subsequently was renamed to just General, and the section description being updated to reflect the new change: "Bitching about changes, funny videos and other crap"
Alongside the backlash that already existed in regarding to garry's posts, there was now also backlash due to the severity of the change, with some seeing it as too extreme as a response to all the criticisms the Newpunch sub-forum system had seen, but many were frustrated with the absorption of what were seen as incredibly active forum sections into an already saturated one, reminiscent of the complaints made after the 2015 forum section reshuffle; and General's new description likely didn't help impressions.
The Azure Scare
During the early hours of the 13th of October, 2018 (in British Summer Time), users began reporting server errors on the New Sites Forum (forum.facepunch.com), receiving the 'Server Error in '/' Application.' Runtime Error page. Whilst garry was likely asleep (combined with the fact that the remainder of facepunch.com was also down), many users chose to interpret this as the end of the forum in tandem with garry's earlier nuking of his Twitter sans a select few tweets and retweets, and the following hours were filled with reminiscence and sorrow, shitposting all around. As the early morning progressed, garry appeared on Discord and claimed that what was occurring was an Azure outage. A bit after that, and the Runtime Error page was replaced with the recognizable Downtime Disco Ball with the message saying "We're having problems with our Azure database We'll be back as soon as possible".
Elsewhere online, while some discussion occurred on r/facepunch (and only one brief mention on 8chan's /facepunch/), much more discussion blossomed over on 4chan - just as those there had discussed the developments as they happened a day or so earlier, it continued on in light of the scare, on not just /v/ but briefly on /b/ too, of all places. Meanwhile, users noticed that Azure servers were operating normally, and naturally inquired what was going on with Facepunch now. Hezzy would elaborate that, from what he had been told, the Azure outage had apparently fucked up Facepunch Studios' database, and that now it had to be fixed, stretching the downtime even further.
It wasn't until the evening of the 15th of October when Facepunch finally got off the dance floor and came back up. Later, on the 18th, garry made a blog post discussing what had happened during those few days when the forum was down, along with his current view of possibly shutting down the forum.
- General - "Frequently Asked Questions - Got a burning question? Ask it here!" (post #205): https://forum.facepunch.com/f/general/btsci/7/#postcwbkik
- General - "Frequently Asked Questions - Got a burning question? Ask it here!" (post #226): https://forum.facepunch.com/f/general/btsci/8/#postcwbkkh
- General - In case you're wondering what the fuck is going on with facepunch (recap thread): https://forum.facepunch.com/f/general/bttjr
- General - Facepunch Appreciation Station: https://forum.facepunch.com/f/general/bttoh
- General - "Frequently Asked Questions - Got a burning question? Ask it here!" (post #148): https://forum.facepunch.com/f/general/btsci/5/#postcwbjzw
- 4chan archive (/v/) - Thread #434873764 [external link]: https://boards.fireden.net/v/thread/434873764/
- 4chan archive (/v/) - Thread #434908046 [external link]: https://boards.fireden.net/v/thread/434908046/
- 4chan archive (/v/) - Thread #434959859 [external link]: https://boards.fireden.net/v/thread/434959859/
- 4chan archive (/v/) - Thread #435025059 [external link]: https://boards.fireden.net/v/thread/435025059/
- 4chan (/b/) - RIP FACEPUNCH [external link; gone]: http://b oards.4chan.org/b/thread/782185405
- General - Forums are back up - Thanks for your patience: https://forum.facepunch.com/f/general/btvbh
- Garry's Blog - Forum Downtime [external link]: https://garry.tv/2018/10/18/forum-downtime/